Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 400 times
Received Karma : 250 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Residence

Post by ben ttech »

you can buy cleaning vinegar that got a higher accidity
id test out of sight to see if whatever you go with doesnt affect the outside finish...
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

All Great Recommendation, My Friend, Lrus!

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

Lrus007 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:09 pm
ok a few things for that lamp is cool btw.
50/50 acetone and transmission fluid to put
on that nut. it will soak into threads and nut.
for the rusty bottom of the base. get some naval jelly.
you brush on wait and rinse off. works pretty well.
use a 6 point socket on that nut. when you take it off.
All great recommendation, my friend, Lrus! :tup:

Thank you for your suggestions, brother!

A 50/50 acetone and transmission fluid sounds interesting and viable!

As for the rust, I'm considering trying Evapo-Rust®. Primarily for the minor surface corrosion on the other parts of the lamp not including the bottom of the base.

I do have experience with Naval Jelly, though. It's good stuff!

Thank you, Lrus! :tup:

You :rockon:!,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Great Suggestion, Ben! :tup:

ben ttech wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:15 pm
you can buy cleaning vinegar that got a higher accidity
id test out of sight to see if whatever you go with doesnt affect the outside finish...
Great suggestion, Ben! :tup:

I have cleaning vinegar. I've been using it on the stainless steel range hood.

I used it on my set of Machinist Squares and it permanently altered the finish, and not in a good way... :frown:

I discovered Evapo-Rust® while perusing woodworking tool restoration YouTube videos.

I was thoroughly impressed with the Evapo-Rust® results...it also does not negatively affect the original finish.

Thank you, Ben! :tup:

:rockon:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Okay, Who Here Honestly Missed Me? :winky:

Since my last post here I jammed by thumb BAD! I was tightening the screw clamps that hold Clamp On Forklift Forks to the Kubota Front End Bucket to move that Hotsy out of storage. About a few days later I did it again - BAD (again!)! :frown:

More than 3 weeks later I'm still unable to firmly squeeze anything with that hand, my right hand.

Then, the other day, I dislocated my ring finger. The middle joint of my ring finger on my left hand...

Insulation 0008 10272021.jpg

I kept working that day but had to stop because that joint kept dislocating. I had to keep trying to grab something, anything, with that hand to get it to go back in place, as my other hand was already busy. After about a dozen of times it dislocated I decided I should probably give it a couple days to heal.

This picture is from a few hours ago - blood has made it to the surface and it's still barely usable.

Insulation 0009A 10272021.jpg

While I started insulating the attic (outside the future grow space (Bloom Room)) - I bought about 1/2 of what I'll need up there (excluding the future Bloom Room (it's Rolled Knauf R19 Fiberglass) that will get different insulation (Rockwool of some sort, likely) ($351+)))) a few days ago.

First I had to close the gaps in the perimeter of the ceiling panels.

While traversing the space I missed a hand hold and landed face first in the previously installed WRONG insulation. My face landed just this side of the Wafer LED Light.

Insulation 0007 10272021.jpg

After I missed that hand hold, and while I was falling, I was wondering what it would feel like when I hit the floor 11-1/2 foot below me... :frown:

Luckily that furring that was used to hang the Luan (ceiling panels) up there stopped my fall!

I literally thought I was going to crash right through it.

I would have crashed through that ceiling, hit that handrail up in the Loft, flipped off the handrail, and then hit floor in a clump, I was sure! :winky: :roflmao:

Just a reminder, this is the insulation Is Condition...

Insulation 0001 10272021.jpg

15 inch batts in 24 on center joist bays. Not sure why they did that.

I told my niece the other day that I was going to the "City" to buy insulation for the attic.

Her reply was "I bought insulation for the attic." :frown:

I had to explain to her the situation. 15 inch batts in 24 inch bays. I still don't think she understood the situation.

First thing I had to do was close those gaps in the perimeter of the ceiling trim.

Insulation 0011 10272021.jpg

It worked in some respect in some areas, and failed in the others. There is an elevation problem of the pieces. There's three things up there and none of them really meet the others. Not sure how I am going to address the problem, BUT it will likely come to stuffing those gaps with rolled foam insulation, that round foam insulation that's used to fill gaps in window installations.

Long ago I contemplated removing the ceiling and doing it right. The only thing that stopped my was I don't have scaffolding. It's not something I can do with just one ladder.

I think, at some point in the future, that ceiling will have to come down and built the right way.

Just now, with Winter coming, is not the right time.

I have since decided I could do the work off of a 2 ladder and walk-board arrangement.

I have one good ladder now. I'm pretty sure there is a similar ladder here (not positively sure). I don't think there is a walk-board here (a manufactured walk-board).

After having tried to pull the R19 insulation through some waste of time and effort "Strong-Backs" I've decided to pull them, lay the insulation in, then replace the whatever they are! :winky: :roflmao:

Insulation 0016 10292021.jpg

First, I'm going to mount my worklight above my Festool-ish Multi-Function Slab.

I've been holding off until I could find a somewhat permanent spot for it. I made a generally scrap-wood mobile stand for it that I can clamp to some surrounding structure.

That's generally where things are.

Understand, this is all building out of the attic space to include the new Bloom Room and I'm insulating from the farthest point to the nearest point in an effort to NOT paint myself into a corner.

My intent was to start there, install Attic Vent Channels (Baffles) as I went along, until I get to the area in the attic where I will install some sort of Rockwool insulation for the grow space.

When I saw I didn't have the space to get a stapler into the space to secure the Baffles, I went and bought a Slap Hammer.

I also bought the staples that Amazon's "Frequent bought together" suggestion.

I received them today.

Those 'recommended' staples DO NOT fit this slap hammer :frown: :mad:

I had to request a refund from Amazon and then went and ordered the correct staples from Home Depot. They're supposed to be here by Nov. 4th, they say... :winky:

Now I'll have to go over the work area again after I had been over that area once already.

I DO NOT like working that way BUT, I have to get this place insulated. Winter is nigh! :winky:

Also, I have in my mind the use of a Cassette type Mini-Split. I don't want to drill holes in these Double Stack Brick walls.

However, from memory, the Pioneer Mini-Split Cassette unit requires an approximate 4 feet by 4 feet box framing.

I'm going to try and frame that in when I get to that point.

It will require re-framing the truss and lower chord structure to frame it in.

That's where I'm at currently.

I hope you're ALL having a most melodious of evenings! :tup:

:puffpass:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Residence

Sketchy stuff working off the top of a ladder! :winky: :roflmao:

I'm okay climbing the ladder to the top.

I'm okay working over head from the top of the ladder.

It's the transitioning that gets me. Moving out in space without any means of support nearly 8 feet above the floor I would certainly crash on to!

:roflmao:

This went well, except for the little cord 'clamps' (?). The first one hit the floor before I could get the cord in place.

They went alright. I just think there must be a more secure way of doing it. They're a bit flimsy, imo.

Rockler 5000 Lumen LED Light Installation 0001 10292021.jpg
Rockler 5000 Lumen LED Light Installation 0002 10292021.jpg

Then, the relationship between the light socket and the on/off rocker switch...

Rockler 5000 Lumen LED Light Installation 0003 10292021.jpg

You see no matter where you put the light, the switch will always be in reach of/from the floor.

:fly: Flying,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Wow! That Took It Out Of Me!

Whatever "It" is, is took it out of me.

That starter course was hell!

Besides having to pull those wast of time, money and effort Strongbacks, I used some of the wrongly bought R13 roll insulation to fill that first opening. It's where the last rafter terminates and where that Gable End starts.

No way to accurately cut it in. Not from my perspective. Too many cuts, studs, 1/2 studs then faux rafter tails coming out from those going out to the Fascia.

Insulation 0021 10302021.jpg

This is that "Why did you put this here" diagonal support.

Insulation 0018 10302021.jpg
:facepalm:

It was held in place by exactly 2 screws. And, this one was not even screwed down tight. I could easily wobble it back and forth...

Oh, on the above; they tried to nail it in place first. Then, they like me, found out that that Oak is tough as hell to nail into! I feel their pain! :roflmao:

But, getting back to business...

I thought it would go easier than it is. I expected to have all 6 rolls in place by now.

It's killing my back ... the bending down, the getting up, then working on my knees and fitting the R19 insulation into place by stretching my body out across the area I'm working in is beating me up! :roflmao:

I'm going to go as hard as I can and try and get a few more laid in.

Maybe all of those that I have, maybe...

Oh, btw, something in my left elbow has been hurting since I started this. I don't know why, unless I hit that elbow when I fell face first into the insulation! I have been relying on it heavily doing this human Cantilever work!

First a game of which of these things do not belong?

Insulation 0019 10302021.jpg

Then, a :puffpass:!

:wave:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

My Middle-Back Just Informed Me I'm Done - Until I Forget About My Back Pain - AGAIN! :-D

I got 2 rolls in.

Insulation 0022 10302021.jpg

My middle-back just informed me that I'm done - at least until I forget about my middle-back pain - again! :winky: :roflmao:

Maybe I'm misreading my back pain?

I also forgot to :puffpass:! :winky: :roflmao:

Maybe my back pain is telling me "Hey, pal...you forgot to :puffpass:, idiot!"

I'm seeing now that 6 rolls should get me to the most Southern pendant light. IF my figuring is right, I'll only need 4 more rolls to get the Southern end of what will be the Attic Bloom Room! :tup:

IF you are the person that first used Bloom Room in my thread, let me know, please. I demand to credit you! :winky:

Now a :puffpass:!

Maybe 2 :puffpass: to make up for the one I missed.

My back could sure use it! :winky:

Good morning! :tup:

Make it a great day!

:puffpass:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Just A Quick Update...

Hello friends! :wave:

I have not made any progress with the insulation. Still undecided how to address those gaps between the ceiling panels and make it look at least barely presentable.

I tried to make another supply run to include the Rockwool/Mineral Wool/Stone Wool/etc... that will go under the future Bloom Room, the attic space that will be built out.

The quickest possible I could get it is Dec. 29th :frown: Also, I only need 100+sf to insulate the floor of the future Bloom Room BUT, I can only find it with a "Minimum" buy of 8 packs. I only really need 3 packs.

IF I have to buy 8 packs ($56 each), I'll insulate the entire North 1/3 of the attic.

I was able to buy some gravel, some concrete blocks and I bought some 2x8x16's to build a beam. I couldn't find any 3x's or 4x's beams. I'll have to build some. These items are ready to pick up. Not sure when I'll make the trip to the 'City'.

The already purchased Lolly Columns (Jack Posts) I need won't be available until at least Dec. 6th! :frown:

I've been slammed with other things or not doing anything at all! :winky:

Also, these past several days have had me IR due to my back. Just the other day I spent at least a day and a half in bed.

What makes that worse is that all that rack time didn't alleviate my pain - in fact, it made it worse.

Our natural pain reliever :rollitiup: was my only reprieve.

I must try to improve where I lay my head to rest soon! I've been putting it off and regretting putting it off.

I had X-rays and a full MRI (Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar) yesterday. Results won't be in for a few days.

While I was there, I also got my Moderna Booster and the Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine.

I've also spent a good deal of time since my last post shopping for a Zero Turn mower. My brother will need his Kubota at his new place. A LOT more snow there. I didn't want to hold him up a single day once he decides it's time to fetch it up.

I bought a Gravely ZT X 52 Zero Turn Mower.

Gravely ZT X 0001 11092021.jpg

This Gravely represents the first thing I have taken out a loan on in over 16 years. Except for my Festool purchases, this is the largest purchase of any sort in those 16 years.

Part of the reasoning I did it, besides needing a lawn mower here so my brother can take his tractor whenever he is ready to, is to help build my credit back up.

I’m going to try and purchase a Cassette type Mini-Split (possibly a 2 zone unit) outright down the road but, I ‘may’ have to get it on payments. It’s going to be over $3000, at least…that’s with me doing the work.

I rocked the ZTM 4 times on the first day! :roflmao: for your flatlanders, that means hit rocks with the mower blades (same terminology regards chainsaws)). Better start shopping for blades AND a sharpening setup!

Oh, and, Happy United States Marine Corps 246th Birthday belatedly! #Salute :tup:

Happy Veterans Day, also belatedly, too, to our Warfighters past, presents and future! #Salute :tup:

I tried to better light up Ol' Glory. Didn't go as well as I had hoped :winky:

I built the light bracket out from the wall to get it closer to her as I thought it would light her better :tdn:

I was wrong. It became a nuisance with the winds we’ve been having. :crazy:

Flag Mount 0017 11132021.jpg
Flag Mount 0018 11132021.jpg
Flag Mount 0019 11132021.jpg
Flag Mount 0020 11132021.jpg

Next, I'm going to build a light bracket out from the faux rafter tails out in front and above of Ol' Glory, like the billboards of old…the ones that extend out from the front of the billboard and shining their light back at the billboard.

Something like this…

Cantilevered Billboard Lights 0001 11132021.jpeg

I do hope you're all well and doing fine! :tup:

Time to :rollitiup: some fine Raspberry Cough.

I do hope you're all doing the same (insert your strain)! :winky:

Regards,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Figured Out A Way To Show Where I Live (A Little Piece Of Heaven On Earth) Without Exposing Location.

I have been trying to figured out a way to show where I live (A Little Piece Of Heaven On Earth) without exposing exact location.

For anyone curious, that is ... this is my brother’s property. 19 acres in all. The full rectangle pictured…

Brothers Property 0001 11122021.jpg

The red-roofed structure in the right lower corner is the 1924 Brick Schoolhouse.

This where the 19 acres lands...

Brothers Property 0003 11122021.jpg

This is the mowed area, from the right side all the way to the treelines left and above, excluding the obstacles, of course.

I used Google Maps to estimate the mowed area. According to Google Maps it's just over 2 acres, give or take a little bit.

Brothers Property 0002 11122021.jpg

These satellite images are VERY old. A lot of what is shown doesn't exist, and a few things that do exist aren't shown :crazy:

Lastly, this probably means more to me than any of you! :winky:

The former owner and his friend started building a hangar out in the field, at the West end of the trees to the right.

Brothers Property 0004 11122021.jpg

I think their plan was to fly ultra-lights from the property...and I imagine out over the lake - it's a big lake!.

Don't know why it never got completed. IF it wasn't out in the middle of nowhere :winky:. The bones are there.

These 2 fellas re-roofed the schoolhouse. I was told they were both in their 80's :edge: at the time. :toker1:

80 year olds on a 12/12 roof :shock:

I'm a bit of an Aviation nerd, as you may have figured out :winky: and it just fits into my life's experiences too well :winky: :rockon:

I can picture the old friends wheeling their Flying Machines out of their hangar to the "runway" and taking flight defying gravity!

Shaking their old-man fists at gravity! :roflmao:

The building would have been big enough to park 2 full ultras...not the kite type.

Butcher Bob, you're welcome to visit any time you'd like. I have enough room to lay down an air mattress now :winky: :smoke: Bring your fishing pole, IF that is an activity you partake of, that is! :winky:

:fly:,
WHAB

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 930 times

Figured Out A Way To Show Where I Live (A Little Piece Of Heaven On Earth) Without Exposing Location.

Post by Butcher Bob »

WhiteHotAfterburner wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:54 am
These 2 fellas re-roofed the schoolhouse. I was told they were both in their 80's :edge: at the time. :toker1:

80 year olds on a 12/12 roof :shock:
Wish I felt that agile. :frown:

I want to pull the asphalt off mine and replace it with standing seam metal.
But the majority is 12/12, with a stairwell section that is 16/12...two stories up.
I don't think my body could take the fall....unless I hit a porch roof on the way down. :p
Butcher Bob, you're welcome to visit any time you'd like. I have enough room to lay down an air mattress now :winky: :smoke: Bring your fishing pole, IF that is an activity you partake of, that is! :winky:
Would be a summertime event. :wink:
Fishing would be awesome. Like the idea of a lazy afternoon with a sam'ich, a beer or two, some good smoke, and with any luck some bites. :toker1: