Growing the Incredible Bulk

For the hydro-heads
Roots

Post by Roots »

You should take advantage of your three part nutrients.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 417 times
Received Karma : 511 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

He should get some decent LED lights, too. Here's my latest rig:
IMG_3020.JPG
Here's part of my last grow. Sorry for jacking your thread Irwin :toker1:
IMG_2587.jpg
IMG_2683.JPG
Licensed to Krill

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 70 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Post by Jesús Malverde »

I wonder why LEDs aren't more prevalent in the agriculture supplying our local rec market? Most indoor here is still done using slightly better versions of the lamps we had back in OG days.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

There are several reasons, but the main reason is that a lot of growers still don't trust LEDs as a large-scale option because so many companies sell shitty LEDs and lie about specs that don't live up to the hype. Which gives all LEDs a bad name.

For example, when you advertise something as a "2000W equivalent", when in fact it draws just 230W from the wall and only delivers 180-190W or so to the LEDs (the driver and fans use about 15-20% of the power); claim your LEDs are "full spectrum" when they are not (a CMH has a better spectrum than that); claim they have UV when they don't; claim they are "the closest thing to sunlight" when they are far from it; claim a 700,000 hour lifespan when the LEDs themselves only have a lifespan of 30,000-40,000 hours tops; claim 1800 umol/j at 12" which is clearly bullshit; you get the picture.

Why would anyone take LEDs seriosuly when you read all that ^ and discover just about every claim made about the light is untrue?

Sorry Irwin, I'm not trying to put the boots in, but you have to call that light for what it is. A piece of shit. For almost the same price you could have bought something decent from an American company like HLG. This 135W kit would kill that fixture, Plus it is silent and has no moving parts: https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... ec-led-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So that's the first reason growers have been slow to adapt to LEDs – because the industry is full of shit, mostly perpetuated by lying-arse cheap Chinese vendors, and a lot of growers aren't yet sure what they're looking at.

Another reason is set-up costs: good LEDs can be more expensive than HIDs, but that cost is offset by other factors. You save at least 1/3 of your direct energy (lighting) costs, as well as climate control (aircon) in warmer environments; you never have to replace light bulbs; LEDs last for years and do not lose light output as fast as HIDs; better spectrum for the same wattage can mean better yields.

But mostly I think its just a matter of people catching on to the technology. Most growers who switch to decent LEDs never go back. If HIDs were better, I wouldn't have made the switch myself. Indeed, I was as skeptical as anyone that LEDs could replace HIDs, but my first grow detroyed that myth.

Anyway, now that I've fucked Irwin's thread, I'll STFU and let him grow.
Licensed to Krill

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1084 times
Received Karma : 1699 times

Post by Lrus007 »

Irwin,s skeptical
you better send him a light to prove your point.
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

Irwin the Troll
Karma Whore
Karma Whore
Has bestowed Karma : 30 times
Received Karma : 141 times

Post by Irwin the Troll »

June 13
15920893211347488036213088626356.jpg
. You know I grow ghetto and don't spend money on s***. I don't even have a pH meter, I use tap water and s***my nutes are blood piss and lemon juice. Don't Jack my thread or I go full-blown BLM on your ass

Irwin the Troll
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

These r my vegging bulbs prawn. Some guy gave them to me for free. They have little color dots just like yours.
15920897325568502833833398765262.jpg

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

I don't want to keep spamming the place up (I'm already doing a pretty good job!), but if you guys are interested in any LED stuff you'll definitely be looked after. We're not in a position to start giving them away just yet, but we can offload them close to cost price for you guys if you want to try them to compare with what you already have.

Here are some photos I took the other day of a CMH/LED mixed room. The LED in the photos is one of ours.
IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3044.JPG
Licensed to Krill

Irwin the Troll
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

species_11 cleaner shrimp safely ventues into mouths of predators.jpg

Irwin the Troll
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

The water pumps made the water too warm and she got root rot. Change to an aquarium air pump hopefully she'll recover.
15926631507252134826304977992786.jpg
15926630543635707539382687781972.jpg