Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 70 times
Received Karma : 131 times

led grows

Post by Jesús Malverde »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/busin ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't think I'd ever read an article in the New York Times about the pros and cons of LED vs. HPS for cannabis growing when this thread began a few years ago. The article itself honestly isn't very cannaculture literate but just the fact that it's there is mindblowing.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

led grows

Post by deran »

who would have thought ....

1 thing that tells me not to invest in LEDs is moors law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is actually about transistors and space, but the same applies to LED chips as well, tho there arent transistors on board, its the space that gets double filled and the technology advances ahead putting out more n more lumens per watt , or to be scientific correct, puts out more n more photons (flux) , meanwhile LEDs have overtaken all HID lamps when its about photon flux

cool ay ? no, not yet ....

30 years ago you bought a sodium lamp with a ballast and you knew that there wont be any surprises within the lighting industry, that 30 year old system is today still competitive with anything else producing light, ok we have the double ended models, which is an improvement but nothing new, like with cars, a new model slightly better optics, some changes here n there, a bit more modern ... but the same thing that it was 100 years ago, 4 wheels, petrol, ingnition, and thats it ... today we have hybrid cars and , drumroll please : electrical cars ... that would be the analogy to LEDs, something completley new ... but thats also the problem
you buy today the most modern electrical car, for example a tesla, within 5 years, the car will be old , the tech inside of it, there will be better batteries, better electro motors, better software etc ... ok, to bring it into a reasonable timeframe/line ... improvements/news arent that fast within the automobile industrie , compared to computers or LEDs, i would say whats 5 years in computer years, is about 25 years in car-years, so to say 25 years ago, cars were only half as good as today ...
hope you get all my drift ...

now back to real hardware,
no matter if already readily built off the shelf from the store, or cheaper self soldered as a DIY project, no matter what you choose ... within 5 years your LED panel will be old, older than old ... no matter if the meantime between failurs (mtbf) climbs up to 100000 hours ... its like buying a brandnew ford model t (hypothetically via a time maschine) for the purpose of a new family car .... sure the model t is still today very sought after .. but not for actual driving, just for collecting as a treasure, or investing as a money reproduction model

sure your panel will work great within 5 years, it wont be old in the means of used, but in the means of technology

same with computers: either the LEDs will become so cheap, that the panel which costs you now 1000 bucks, will cost only 100 , or the panels within 5 years will still cost 1000 bucks, but their technology will be 2,3,4 times better than todays

for me this model of buying things lacks any real alternatives, i know if i stick up to a brandnew gavita double ended system, i dont need to be afraid of concurrency from other technologies (LEDs) within the next 5 years, as its been decades before ... also there will be improvement at bulbs n gases n other stuff
with LEDs - you buy it today and its already doomed to be old ... 1W chips (diodes) , 3W, 5W, 10W, chip on board (array) ...there is no end to it, and i feel screwed over, who is gonna buy your used panel within 5 years, either too expansive or too lame/old and you threw literally money through the open window
a negative money model right from the start ...

sure, there are freaks out there who dont belong into a normal consumer corner, and they dont care about money or investment or anything else, as you might heard already one nice definition of a hobby: paying most money to the least reasonable things

atm the cheapest but also the most reasonabl panels , cost about 1,40 € per watt
(bonsaihero hanspanel http://bonsaihero.com/index.php/led-growlight-180-watt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
you need at least 2 of those for 3x3 /4x4 space (tent), thats 500 euros for light ... i can get a new 600W HPS system for 50 € (ballast+bulb+reflector) .. scary ... but you are saving energy, arent you ? ... you are saving that much energy, that you have to run the panel for 3,5 years in order to equal out power costs ... so far so good ... in those 3,5 years lots will change ... and this was just a cheap panel ... most of you know, that panels dont cost less than 1000 bucks (for a space 3x3 /4x4) you can do the math when its payed off ... lol ....

its diabolic and mean - this whole LED story, you have to be up to date, to read fucking charts, follow newest tech improvements and to be handy with a soldering iron ... if you wanna play along ....

still up to this day, there isnt a single commercial LED operation in holland with legal crops, the dutch are still using HPS for their cucumbers and tomatoes and and and, tho on paper there are better things ... and its not about money when we talk about legal commercial operations, so what is it thats keeping off the dutch from LEDs?

any ideas ?
Attachments
smallled.jpg
smallled.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
ledout.jpg
ledout.jpg (127.46 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
awoken the right way

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 70 times
Received Karma : 131 times

led grows

Post by Jesús Malverde »

The day the big Dutch and Canadian greenhouse tomato farmers move to LEDs en masse will be the day the cannabis grower should first consider investing in that tech. And not a day sooner. Because *they* won't be fooled by the bullshit and hype, unlike home cannabis growers who have a decades-long track record of believing the most outrageous bs imaginable.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

led grows

Post by MadMoonMan »

Wowee Jesus truly spoke.

Of course not the real Jesus because the real Jesus

was represented by light... "I am the Light of the world"

uh ok bad example.
um

The real Jesus made a prediction.

um

ok the real Jesus rose from the dead so gotcha there.

This post is 2011. I remember Led primitive light and this post. No one could imagine getting enough power to flower plants with an LED?

They could barely get enough light on the old computers to see the LED displays... Late to color BTW.

They've come a long way baby to get where they got to today.

OK and now the real question everyone is thinking secretely. Must be asked.

If he wasn't smoking marijuana would he have gotten this bright idea?

Or ended up as an anal proctologist in Peoria.
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

led grows

Post by bentech »

always wished the late jesus would have given us the rundown on his diy panels
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

led grows

Post by MadMoonMan »

You never know about anything do ya bud? Years ago like finding your own time capsules.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

led grows

Post by MadMoonMan »

continuing to vacuumn air from mason jars

at minimum 20 but .... switches hands... pumps .... 21 uhh.... 2...22

pulls plug.

only EXPLETIVE DELETED more to go...
Attachments
Oh My.jpg
Oh My.jpg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 5225 times

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

led grows

Post by bentech »

just noticed deran,
your picturing one of those trick containers with all the holes

things look like a sound deadening rooms walls