New "High Light" LED boards in production

Grow room design, HID, fluoro, reflectors, ventilation, ballasts and wiring.
Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 417 times
Received Karma : 511 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

ripper5 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:19 pm
It's equivalent to 500w incandescent?
Yes, only equivalent to 250w metal halide which is what I believe I need for my 600w hps bloom setup. No bubbles bursted. :roflmao:
Do your boards come out of the box ready to go or is there assembly required. Those hangers definitely require installation. Is there a more ready to go version? Seriously interested. :volcano:
No, it is equivalent to 100W HPS or CMH. Chinese LED manufactures talk complete shit. I will do the maths for you.

Average single-ended HPS = 1.6 umol/j
Average single-ended CMH = 1.6-1.8 umol/j

Your LED = maybe 2.3-2.4 umol/j

So, your LED is (at best) 50% more efficient than the average HPS or CMH lamp. That means 80W of LED is equivalent to 80 x 1.5 (50%) = 120W.

After all, if that 80W LED didn't replace 100W of HPS, why does the box say it does? See how they have hedged their bets by stating it replaces "100W, 250W of HPS"?

As for our LEDs, we've got a new version coming out next week that is completely hang and grow, so all you need to do is take it out of the box, hang it up and grow. But we'll still offer DIY kits. The main issue with pre-assembled lights is that they take up packaging space, so this adds to the shipping cost – especially international. Also, we can offer kits that don't include drivers so that if you do live in the US or Europe etc, you can source your own drivers from Arrow or Digikey etc fairly cheaply and then get free delivery. The drivers are heavy, so that also adds to international shipping. Driverless kits save a fair amount of money.

Those stainless hangers don't require any more installation than any other ratchet hanger. One end has two screws to attach to any fixture, and the other end has a hook. And our DIY lighting kits are very easy to assemble. If you know how to use a screwdriver and a spanner, you can build one of our lights (no wiring required – all the plugs and cables are "plug and play"). They're easier to assemble than an Ikea shelf.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

mistergrafik wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 am
Prawn - Donde estas? DO u have any intesne UV-B in ur boards? I made a few but understand the lifespan of UVB is relatively low comparatively to UVA. I see there is some UVB in ur testing. Also how about UVC? Have you tried utilizing in the boards to help rid of Powdery Mildew and possible other spore?

Also it is more harmful to humans but I must say experiment show UVB bang Trich Production.

I test run an LEP (Plasma) unit which has UV-B spectrum. Difference is notable :smoke:
Hey, I missed this last year. Our lights have UVA, not UVB. UVA is fairly benign but we can get the same results as UVB simply by running the UVA a bit longer. If you are familiar with DLI, you will understand how long-wavelength (lower energy) UVA can be run for longer than short-wavelength (higher energy) UVB without damaging your plants. All you are trying to do is stress the plant enough to produce secondary metabolites (cannabinoids) without impacting growth. UVB stunts growth, which is why we don't use it. Most growers want a balance of yield and quality (high THC), but to get that you need to balance UV against Far Red – one end of the spectrum to the other.
Licensed to Krill

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2159 times
Received Karma : 1584 times

Post by ripper5 »

Mister Grafik wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:17 am
That's hilarious haha. I started clipping these to my pots in the winter.
Catch up Ripper, bro ! :grin:

C01.jpg

Also I look at GLA site pretty frequently - They have attachments for the sides of the tent / wall called buddies.
It's like a hybrid vertical method almost ~
True that, I am in serious need of catching up.
It's because up until recently I couldn't begin to think about a major upgrade like one of these light boards or a tent, or what have ya. Very interesting....I notice Prawn's company has those buddies also.
Prawn Connery wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:52 am
ripper5 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:19 pm
It's equivalent to 500w incandescent?
Yes, only equivalent to 250w metal halide which is what I believe I need for my 600w hps bloom setup. No bubbles bursted. :roflmao:
Do your boards come out of the box ready to go or is there assembly required. Those hangers definitely require installation. Is there a more ready to go version? Seriously interested. :volcano:
No, it is equivalent to 100W HPS or CMH. Chinese LED manufactures talk complete shit. I will do the maths for you.

Average single-ended HPS = 1.6 umol/j
Average single-ended CMH = 1.6-1.8 umol/j

Your LED = maybe 2.3-2.4 umol/j

So, your LED is (at best) 50% more efficient than the average HPS or CMH lamp. That means 80W of LED is equivalent to 80 x 1.5 (50%) = 120W.

After all, if that 80W LED didn't replace 100W of HPS, why does the box say it does? See how they have hedged their bets by stating it replaces "100W, 250W of HPS"?

As for our LEDs, we've got a new version coming out next week that is completely hang and grow, so all you need to do is take it out of the box, hang it up and grow. But we'll still offer DIY kits. The main issue with pre-assembled lights is that they take up packaging space, so this adds to the shipping cost – especially international. Also, we can offer kits that don't include drivers so that if you do live in the US or Europe etc, you can source your own drivers from Arrow or Digikey etc fairly cheaply and then get free delivery. The drivers are heavy, so that also adds to international shipping. Driverless kits save a fair amount of money.

Those stainless hangers don't require any more installation than any other ratchet hanger. One end has two screws to attach to any fixture, and the other end has a hook. And our DIY lighting kits are very easy to assemble. If you know how to use a screwdriver and a spanner, you can build one of our lights (no wiring required – all the plugs and cables are "plug and play"). They're easier to assemble than an Ikea shelf.
So upon checking out the website, turns out you CAN hang those from a pole (shower curtain pole) That's really all I was concerned with, as far as assembly.

"Normally one pair of hangars can be used for each High Light heatsink: simply attach the loop end to one corner, loop the wire over a roof pole or fixture, and then attach the adjustable hangar end to the opposite corner, forming an upside-down “V” shape."

This little light I have just bought isn't even designed for growing. It was cheap & available on the spot. We'll see how well it performs on some seedlings first, & then some young plants in veg. They had a few sizes with less wattage & one that was bigger.
I have a little 70w hps security light & the light from this LED light swallows the hps light, even from several feet away. Will be interesting.

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by ripper5 »

Prawn let us know when those new ones come out.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

Probably next week.
Licensed to Krill

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by ripper5 »

Whab asked awhile back: "I have a couple of questions. I went to your site and it gives dimension of the LED units themselves but I don't see how many plants each unit can support. You know, like a Xw light can grow X plants through flower." ~. Say for instance the 235w is equal to whatever hps?

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

ripper5 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:59 pm
Whab asked awhile back: "I have a couple of questions. I went to your site and it gives dimension of the LED units themselves but I don't see how many plants each unit can support. You know, like a Xw light can grow X plants through flower." ~. Say for instance the 235w is equal to whatever hps?
Mate, as we all know, you could grow hundreds of plants (SOG) or one plant under the same light.

Have you been to the website? It says right at the top of each product "The 750W HPS Killer" or "The 600W HPS Killer" – that tells you the equivalent HPS lamp each fixture replaces. Basically, you can replace 600W of HPS with 340-350W of LED or 750W of HPS with 480w of LED.

In addition, suggested grow areas are also given under each product, such as 1.2m x 1.2m (4'x4') or 0.9m x 0.9m (3'x3') or 1.2m x 0.6m (4'x 2') etc.

If you have a space to fill, let me know and I can tell you the best set-up to use.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

WhiteHotAfterburner wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:09 pm
Hey Prawn! :wave:

Once I decided to start growing again I came back to a place I knew (like a car chase where the driver inevitably returns to the neighborhood where they're familiar with the surroundings! :roflmao: ).

I came back specifically because I was aware of the dramatic advances in LED grow lights since my last grow (I still have my old gear), I wasn't paying particular attention to it, but I remained aware of the advances.

It's fantastic you've been able to venture out into commercial business. That's awesome!

I have a couple of questions. I went to your site and it gives dimension of the LED units themselves but I don't see how many plants each unit can support. You know, like a Xw light can grow X plants through flower.

Did I scan the text too quickly and just missed that information? There was some (A LOT) language I'm unfamiliar with, to be honest...so maybe it is in there and I just missed it.

And just one more thing, if you don't mind. The options. Why would "Splash-Proof LEDs" be necessary? I mean, you'd have to have a pool party splashing around to even expose the LEDs to any fluids, wouldn't you? I grew Hydro and I don't recall any wild splashing - it's been a long time, though ;-)

Why would a "External Dimmer (Not waterproof)" be necessary?

IF you can point me to this information you don't have to recite it to me, that would be very helpful!

I do wish you all the best in your venture, sincerely!

:smoke:

:wave:,
WHAB
I missed this earlier. In addition to the above post about light areas etc, you don't really need splash-proof LEDs unless you regularly mist your plants or have an automatic sprinkler system etc. A lot of commercial greenhouses and nurseries have sprinklers, so we need to cater for them. For you average indoor grower it's not really necessary. But having said that, all our new lights will be waterproof because it's easier to make everything the same.
Licensed to Krill

ben ttech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 389 times
Received Karma : 240 times

Post by ben ttech »

might have missed it to
how do led's compare to hid in terms of canopy penetration and useful distance theyre good for?
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin

webeblzr
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 134 times
Received Karma : 174 times

Post by webeblzr »

Well I love the 4- boards I got. These are not my first rodeo, in the LED jungle. I bought the kits, and as a retired builder of web/sheet printing press equipment, the units are perfect in every sense.
Every aspect has been considered, when you open them up.
The stainless adjusters, should be the industry standard, as true one hand adjustment. No other manufacturer ever gave me anything but hoops.
The board, fit to the heat sink perfect, screw holes were chased, cleaned perfectly.
Assembly took maybe 15 minutes, per board, I work slow with silly plastic gloves on. But I did not want to touch the LED's at all, while screwing the board down. The dimmer switch is ready to use, and located by the driver, where it so much more convenient then the wee tiny hole, wee tiny screw slot, I can not hardly see on my HLG's.
My older California Lighthouse LED, is fucking 45 pounds to heft up over my head to hang. It does make fine flowers, but fuck me is it heavy. AND it is HUNGRY for current, not at all cheaper than HPS... at all. It also did not bring out color like these GLA's are, not even a tiny bit.
That LED was over $2200.00 new, in 2016. I did not buy it new, but from the guy that took it back to the grow shop to resell, as he hated it. But he grew his crops with it like you do for HPS, well so was I at first. Once I pasted it up as high as I could get it, then it did a fine job.
GLA, I got 4- kits for about the same money as 1 CLH, led. 4x's the coverage, for the same cost!
So far my GLA experience just keeps getting better, as I learn more about placement, and pruning.
SMASHING good job Prawn!!