what you gonna grow for this season II

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:03 pm
by Intrinsic
My Veggie seedlings this year.

Sweet Peepers, Red Onion and Leeks
May4 A.JPG
Tomatoes, pole and bush Beans and
May4 B.JPG
Squashes: cucumbers, zucchini, cantaloupe, yellow, butternut and more.
May4 C.JPG
:popcorn:

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 pm
by MadMoonMan
Again, As usual. I am not growing any more tomatoes for the deer herd sleeps in my yard anymore. Seriously, though I complain a lot. I have every year gotten 1 tomato. So deer can be somewhat considerate. Considering.

I traded for some more fence so I'm going to try one more time before I give up. Last year I tried to get my easy and use wire as a gate.

Duh....

Hey... experiments!

Don't always succeed.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 pm
by MadMoonMan
Also. A very unusual cold spell came in late this morning. Frosted so any early tomato plants were in danger. Grandpa always said. "Don't plant till May 15th." spit baccy. Then he'd lift up his leg and fart a long practiced one and say, "Now thats a fizzle boys."

He was a mountain man and proud of his farts. Bragging rights amongst his coon hunting buddys.

But then he lived in the mountains so until now. I live in the flatlands. I thought here that date didn't count. So just goes to show you.

You know what they say.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:50 pm
by Intrinsic
I give My tithe to particularly nasty grey squirrel. he cut the 2 of my tomato plants down last year, chomped the stem. then hitting up some green tomatoes, he also has penchant for young bean shoots, reducing their production. That is why i double down on the planting, one for the animals and bad luck, the other for me.
The birds take their share of apples and plums. the deer are keep at bay with a fence

Funny, May 15 IS my planned planting date. Like right now, when i get off the machine here i'll be starting, beans first, then canna, then the rest of the mess.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:49 pm
by Intrinsic
Cabbage, leeks and a couple of daily harvests, So far zucchinis, bush beans and cabbage and herbs.
Cabbage.JPG
Leeks.JPG
Harvest1.JPG
Harvest2.JPG
Harvest2.JPG (75.51 KiB) Viewed 5197 times

Temps are in 100F plus now for a week, at least another 5 days of it. The dogs don't like it, but the garden is loving it.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 pm
by dill786
courgettes* look good

thats zucchini for the americans lol

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:06 pm
by Intrinsic
I've wonder why the two different names for the same plant. I do know it, as most squashes, are native to the Americas.

maybe the brits like French cuisine and yanks like Italian cooking better? :dunno:

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 pm
by Intrinsic
But zucchini is the correct one. :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 pm
by bentech
Origin
1930s: from French, diminutive of courge ‘gourd’, from Latin cucurbita.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/courgette" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:00 am
by dill786
Intrinsic wrote:I've wonder why the two different names for the same plant. I do know it, as most squashes, are native to the Americas.

maybe the brits like French cuisine and yanks like Italian cooking better? :dunno:
the most popular foods in UK are indian/pakistani food , curries, biryanis etc and then its usually chinese!!!

i cant remember the last time i saw a french restaurant, in my area indian/pakistani food is the most popular back to back fast food places....

i guess 200 years of the british empire in india helped a little !!!

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm
by Jesús Malverde
French restaurants aren't all that easy to find in France anymore. Easy to find some Pad Thai, a cheeseburger, kebab or a pizza though.

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 pm
by Intrinsic
Mild red chili pepper
Mariconi.JPG
Mariconi.JPG (106.16 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
Green chilies
Nov12 pepper.JPG
Nov12 pepper.JPG (117.19 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
Glacier Tomato just loaded after not picking anything for a week while in Utah.
Nov garden Glacier.JPG
Beef steak toms.
Nov garden bigbeef.JPG
Nov garden bigbeef.JPG (187.58 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
Whoo-Hoo!

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:53 am
by dill786
the tomatoes look great,, must be a few kilos :)

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 pm
by dill786
gonna try these next march, flower is attractive and they are heirloom variety !!

Pea Seeds - Blauwschokker

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 pm
by Intrinsic
Blauwschokker! the name is interesting enough. looks yummy!
I like to see how they go, but it 'll have to be after the fact, won't be around next summer. gonna close the garden and go on another walk-about, dreaming about fresh veggies :winky:

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 am
by Prawn Connery
I'm growing Acid and some old-school Sensi Star. Actually, it's not old-school as they are feminised (so obviously not the same as the originals).

This is my first grow in three years. I made some LED lights to veg under in a small tent. I'm building some bigger LEDs for my flowering tent. I decided to try out a bit of modern tech to see how it compared against the old HPS vertical set-up. I'm planning to go vertical with my LEDs, too, but for now it's just an orthodox horizontal grow.

Here they are just over three weeks (Acid) and two weeks (Sensi Star). The two Sensi Stars are the plants bang in the middle, side-by-side. They're outgrowing the Acid. It's coming up summer here, so I thought I'd grow some indicas so I don't have to worry about mold or heat-induced stretch that can be an issue with sativas when the weather warms up. The LEDs throw off very little heat, and so far I am pretty impressed. The above set-up is just an alloy frame I made with 40x25x3mm U-channel, about 345w of 5000K Samsung LED strips, and a 240w adjustable Mean Well driver that is currently running them at about 210w (about 65%). The driver can be overdriven to about 260w if I want, which would drive the LEDs at about 75%.

As you guys probably know, LEDs run more efficiently if you underdrive them. The flowering lights will be similar to the above set-up but x2 in 3000K for a 4x2' space. Plants are just starting to get smelly.

LEDtop.jpg
LEDplants.jpg
LEDlights.jpg

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 pm
by Jesús Malverde
Should be interesting. I just for the first time (knowingly, at any rate) bought some weed, an Amnesia Haze, that I knew to be both vegged and flowered completely under LEDs. It looked quite nice and even had good potency for the line, but the bud had a weird gummy texture and smoked kinda hard and funny too. i have no idea if the LEDs were the cause, but it might be something to look out for.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 am
by Prawn Connery
A lot of LED growers use 3000-4000K lights (hard to get decent 2000-2500K LED strips), so the buds seem to grow pretty tight with the extra blue. I've noticed my plants are growing pretty tight noded considering they are not getting hammered with high intensity light.

Also, most white/full spectrum LEDs have almost no UVA/UVB - unlike HIDs - so that might affect cannabinoid production. I guess I'll find out in a couple of months, as I've just switched to 12/12 under the veg light while I finish the flowering lights.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm
by MadMoonMan
They look good enough to eat now in a salad.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:56 pm
by dill786
i wish i could grow moringa tree in UK, the whole tree is edible including the roots and has lots of health benefits too, they grow wild in india and philipines !!!
the whole plant is edible: the roots as a horseradish substitute, the mustard-flavoured leaves, twigs and flowers raw in salads or cooked in curries

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:05 pm
by dill786
seen some moringa tree seeds, a dwarf plant/tree on ebay,

was gonna buy them but just left it for now. dunno if i can do the plant justice indoors in UK

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:18 pm
by bentech
espalier...

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:35 pm
by RaroRangiReturns
@ intrinsic, nice chillies.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 pm
by RaroRangiReturns
And sorry my camera is refusing to hook up to the comp, so no pics of my 2 foot zucchinis or my 1k squash or my huge corn. This year/last week I lost most of my garden to blight. Both late and early. Sprayed it all with copper on the weekend and now just wait and see how many tom's there are that can be harvested.
I think my may cacti have been effected by the blight also, have managed to keep it away from the medicinal plants at this point.
It feels good to feed the family healthy food for the cost of seed fert and love.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 pm
by Intrinsic
RaroRangiReturns wrote: It feels good to feed the family healthy food for the cost of seed fert and love.
Ya know it :tup: Best heath insurance money can buy.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:36 pm
by dill786
.4 types of chinese cabbage seeds to sow in mid may.. cant wait !!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:19 pm
by Intrinsic
Hey i grew a couple types of some napa cabbage last year. my first successful cabbage grow. when i go day hiking I like to use cabbage in sandwiches cause it doesn't wilt as lettuce does.

..and of coarse the napa was great steamed with salt and butter.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:28 pm
by bentech
I guess what wouldn't taste good with enough crème and butter but I discovered lettuce soup a few years ago after googling recipe and then what was the content of my fridge at the time

I love cabbage
my grandma made it a number of way and one of my dreams is making sauerkraut

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm
by dill786
a lot of polish people eat sauerkraut, it has health benefits to

cant you grow these ben in you area??

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:15 pm
by dill786
my xmas cactus flowered in late feb...

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:39 pm
by MadMoonMan
aloe

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:05 pm
by bentech
how often do they flower dill?

helped a friend move this once
he had an extensive orchid collection and we strung ropes back and forth in the back of the rider truck and hung dozens of his orchid for the a couple hour drive

when we got there one had flowered and he exclaimed he had it for 10 years and it had never flower

figured the stress did it

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:26 am
by dill786
they flower once a year around xmas time and then they go into hibernation..

yea it was probably the stress, you can stress the xmas cactus to flower by manipulating the water and light cycles

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 pm
by dill786
sowed my tomato and pumpkin seeds today in seedling pots, gonna sow more stuff tomorrow !!!

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:44 am
by dill786
got my pumpkin, bitter gourd, tomato seedlings ready still indoor enjoying the hps light. gonna plant them all out in mid may....

veg patch needs weeding and i need to turn over the soil after it has been compacted all through late summer last year

i have to grow extra seedlings for grandma who lives right opposite me, shes an old woman who i chat to about gardening so every season i gave her all the veg seedlings that she needs......