Page 1 of 1

Outdoor feeding suggestions required

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:42 am
by Dick Fein
I am doing my first legal outdoor crop and my plants are quite a bit larger than any I have previously grown and it has been totally organic so far. Now they are beginning to flower and I am wondering if I should supplement with bloom and if so how much? I watered in a tablespoon of guano last week.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am
by Oldjoints
Here is my opinion:
Basically you want to do as normal and lower the nitrogen level and raise the potassium level. I wouldn’t use any fish emulsion or anything with fish in it as I have had serious problems with raccoons digging up my plants to rummage the soil looking for fish to eat. Is bloom fert really necessary? No but it will help in making your buds larger. A lot of this depends on where outdoor we are talking because in a fenced in yard is a world different then a guerilla grow. But in the whole I would use a bloom fert that is organic like a high potassium guano for best results. As far as how much it depends greatly on what product you decide to go with.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 pm
by Dick Fein
It is a fenced yard in an iffy neighborhood, but I have a baby monitor going and 3 game cameras set up to at least photograph any trespassers.
I have already issued one stern warning.
I am having a little trouble finding neem oil (sounds like a movie title), apparently it has been implicated in that new syndrome so I hit them with endall and bought some tanglefoot to coat the trunk

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:39 pm
by Oldjoints
The endall I have used has neem oil in it. I can’t speak on the tanglefoot as I have never used it. Looks like they are a good size for veg so you should have a bountiful harvest. Hope things go well!

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:58 pm
by Dick Fein
Thanks again.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:48 pm
by Jesús Malverde
I've tried both using bloom fertz and not using them outdoors. It might make a slight difference but if the plants look healthy and vigorous, using them won't make much/any difference in yield. Just my anecdotal experience. Keep the plants healthy and the buddage takes care of itself, it's what the plant is designed to do.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:25 pm
by Lrus007
more food and water the bigger the buds.
so i would feed bloom fert's. what kind is
up to you. when you do fert water in well.
the ferts need to get down to roots.
look good and happy.

Lrus007

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 am
by Oldjoints
This is response to what Jesús posted and a general answer for all readers. When Jesus stated that if your plants are healthy they need no supplements and do their thing naturally. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. But what I have noticed is that in flower plants use up the natural potash found during thier flowering. Does potassium make your buds huge... NO! But in my opinion it does help make them larger then if nothing is added in the flowering process. Their are no fast hard rules in this game, every strain and plant is unique. This is why I have rarely given out growing advice. I have surely made errors with diagnosing plant health and anyone that tells me they haven’t is a lier or a fool. This is a hands on game with a great deal of factors so it is extremely hard to be a “couch” doctor and when given advice remember we aren’t there to take in all the factors involved and can only go by what we are told or shown in pictures.
My 2 cents....

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:11 am
by Dick Fein
I think you have both reinforced what I already felt, that staying organic is the way to go for me. I will give them another tbsp of guano in a couple weeks and water with the ph adjusted to 5.7 for the duration. If these finish in time I might even be able to flower a couple of Widows outside in DWC before the first frost. Thanks for all your advice though.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm
by bentech
mabe start thinking about needing to tie some of those branches up?

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:57 pm
by Dick Fein
I have a bundle of 1x2 spruce and plan to do just that. Thanks Ben.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm
by deran
bam bam bam !!!

http://www.guanokalong.nl/engels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

use the force young padawan ;)

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:00 pm
by MadMoonMan
Start spraying them with neem oil once now and again in 2 weeks. To innoculate them against bud rot when it starts to get cooler.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:35 pm
by Dick Fein
Back in the middle of July we had some severe weather come through and I had one tied with a single strip of tape to the fence behind it and that was enough to just about destroy the plant. I was devastated but my first aid efforts paid off and it has mostly recovered.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 pm
by Dick Fein
And here is yesterday. The screws and washer stay but I release the pressure a little every other day.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:46 am
by MadMoonMan
Whoa.... I'd be careful screwing any of my plants. That can get the Feds involved . Ok sorry bad joke so yes you did screw your plants together.

Thats amazing. :)

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 am
by Dick Fein
Well she is my favorite.
Health Canada has forbidden the sale of Neem Oil for use on weed but I did manage to find some at an organic food store, 30 ml for 18 bucks.
I have insecticidal soap so if I add 30 mil to a liter will that be strong enough?

This is the stuff I bought at a little better price.https://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:15 pm
by Oldjoints
I am not familier with that brand but I usually mix a tablespoon with a liter of water so I would think it would be fine for the soap mix also.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:02 pm
by Dick Fein
Great thanks again.
I spotted 4 fans of my organic mix when I was watering tonight.
I am not sure what the specific mushroom is but I like to see them in there.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 pm
by Dick Fein
I just finished spraying the neem oil and the strangest thing happened.
I feed the birds and one of my bluejays went under one of the freshly sprayed plants and intentionally got the spray on it's feathers. I assume it has some kind of lice or something that it recognized could be dealt with. The stuff certainly has a distinctive odor.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 pm
by Lrus007
it also might want the scent from it.
like a dog rolling in shit. they want the smell lol

i would have never thought about screwing a plant together.
thanks for that. if you want to repair a break. you can seal
the branch with thickened elmers glue. is what they use for
roses. put some in a paper bowl. then stir and let dry until
thick. then cover the wound. nice grow keep up the good work.
Lrus007

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 pm
by bentech
good thought on the bird,
their cancers go up as they use cigarettes filters in building nexts but the residual tobacco keep down the mites that like to live in their nexts with em...

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 am
by Dick Fein
I think that glue idea is great and I am going to apply some this morning and then secure it with a hose clamp and it should be good as new tomorrow.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm
by MadMoonMan
Dick Fein wrote:Well she is my favorite.
Health Canada has forbidden the sale of Neem Oil for use on weed but I did manage to find some at an organic food store, 30 ml for 18 bucks.
I have insecticidal soap so if I add 30 mil to a liter will that be strong enough?

This is the stuff I bought at a little better price.https://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OMGOSH! Neem is ONE of the most innocent herbal remebies that you can use. Its evergreen tree sap.

I heard but I never pursued the exhaustive research that it was used in some toothpastes. Now. I realize that since I'm almost toofless and that I'm not sure wether I can attest to the fact that toothpaste with African Tree Sap in it resulted in more dental losss than without.

"I'm just a nuclear plant janitor Jim. What do you want from me?"

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:16 pm
by Dick Fein
There is a real smear campaign going on right now about Neem Oil on Facebook. Next time I see it I will show you.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:45 pm
by Dick Fein
https://steemit.com/cannabis/@drutter/c ... -poisoning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 pm
by Jesús Malverde
The EPA rates neem oil as "GRAS" or "generally regarded as safe" so its toxicity is low. In addition it appears to break down quickly outdoors, I wouldn't spray it harvest week just to be on the safe side.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:41 pm
by Dick Fein
That makes sense but confusing synthetic neem with pure organic neem oil and then launching a campaign against it is typical of Health Canada and their nonsense.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 am
by Dick Fein
These are some shots from today. 30th looks good for harvest and the pm is completely gone. The night temps have been warm enough to reduce that threat.
If I were to start taking off some of the bigger fan leaves now would that interfere with the ripening?

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:37 am
by Lrus007
looking great
i think you could strip some fans and be ok.
Lrus007

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:28 am
by Dick Fein
Great! and so the leaves can go right in the freezer until I am ready to make hash? Do you chop it up a bit?

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:18 pm
by Roots
Why would you want to take off fan leafs?

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:36 pm
by Dick Fein
It is a lot easier when the plant is standing up and I think that is where most of the bugs and eggs will be so I would like to do it outside. It is only 5 days anyway before I harvest these 3. They could go longer but it feels like it is time.