2 track - or not 2 track ?

Got Ideas? Found a bug? The place to let us know what you think is here.
deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Post by deran »

short version, in ur face :

" Privacy Badger detected a potential tracker on this page "

just curious ....
awoken the right way

smokebreaks
The Big Cheese
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: High Society Stoner
Has bestowed Karma : 185 times
Received Karma : 343 times

Post by smokebreaks »

:smoke: my guess it's a container site, we don't have a tracker that I'm aware of
GOVERNMENT WARNING: Marijuana use can cause complex thoughts leading to better ideas of how to live your life. Caution, free thinking has been routinely reported with continued use.

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

Almost all sites have a tracking system of sorts, it gleans information from the cookie sent to the site in the handshake and tracks geographical information and page views and what pages you visit. This information is only available to the webmaster and nothing to worry about. It does list your IP address, but most are pooled and non-identifying these days.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1818 times
Received Karma : 1593 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Doesn't Google AdSense intrinsically track? Fwiw It's a registered user. And I understand goggle analytics uses atypical methods to track. Reading up on privacy badger

Speaking of tracking does anyone know how to clear all items in local storage of a mobile browser.

Such as mozlla : local Storage.clear()

But that can be done easily for a phone browser,, Opera, Firefox.

Other than erasing static memory, recompiling fresh.

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

On your android phone:
Open the browser and click the Menu button on your phone. Tap the More option.
Tap Settings.
Scroll down to the Privacy settings section and tap the Clear cache option.
Tap OK when prompted.
Now tap the Clear all cookie data option.
Again, tap OK.

On a iPhone:
To clear your history and cookies, go to Settings > Safari, and tap Clear History and Website Data. ...
To clear your cookies and keep your history, go to Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data, then tap Remove All Website Data.

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

As far as Adsense goes:
It doesn’t track users per se, it tracks the ads placed on a website. It is basically a tool for webmasters to see how well their advertising is doing.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by Intrinsic »

Hmmm. Yesterday didn't work whether I cleared cookies or site data, session storage disappeared but local storage remained static.
Was going to take screenshots today to show. Today cleared Site data. It cleared session but did not clear localstorage but after reloading some data, if I clear cookie storage FIRST it does clear both local and session. Not intuitive. Sorry for the bother I should have tested more. Thanks Oldjoints.

AdSense sounds exactly what privacy badger heuristic method would identify as tracking...
Haven't been able to test cuz not available for Opera Android

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by Intrinsic »

Cool, gotta love Opera.

It has been pestering me 2 update for months now. So I did. Lo!! Opera setting now combined clearing cookie and site storage into just one button. Verified indeed it does clear local and session storage in one click. No messin with cookies first. Now if they would only do that automatically every time I close Opera, which is what my desktop version does.