Growing in electric sunshine
WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

Long Delayed Progress III+ - Slow Going - Very ;-)

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

While my back is still giving my problems I haven't been completely idle. I added Stabil to the Gravely Zero Turn gas tank (Winterized it) and put it in the 'garage'. My brother did transport his Kubota shortly after I bought the Gravely but before he had even seen it. Just as I had thought things 'might' go did. Now I can maintain the lawn and he can plow his driveway!

I also started a woodworking project. I'm making a Burial Flag Display for my Texas girlie (her Uncle's flag).

I have it tentatively designed like my Father's burial flag...

Burial Flag+ Display 0001 10292021.jpg

My illness and weather has set that schedule back by a bunch. That and 4 cuts I have to make. 4 22.5 inch degree angle cuts.

Burial Flag+ Display 0002 01152022.jpg
Burial Flag+ Display 0003 01152022.jpg

Note that the bottom angle cuts in my father's case are 45'd on the body of the case and trim was added in the front to look like 22.5 degree cuts. I'm sure it was done that way for production purposes. That's not how I want to do it.

I have tried every which way to do it with my Festool TS75 and there just is no way. I puzzled that out for days. It either has to be cut by hand (which I am going to try on some test pieces) or on a table saw....a table saw that I don't own. I can use my brother's saw (it's still here just by happenstance - he will move it at some point in the future, maybe Spring) but even then I'll have to build a Tenoning Jig to make the 4 22.5 degree cuts.

I have rough-cut to length the piece I'm going to use (Red Oak, of course! :winky:). Besides, I think it will look great in Red Oak.

Burial Flag Display Case 0001 11152021.jpg

I'd like to make it continuous grain on 2 of the upper visible sides. No one will ever notice it, probably...but I'd like to try.

I rough-cut the length of Red Oak and S4S'd (surfaced 4 sides) is and and ensured it is square :tup:.

It was quite a treat processing the wood in this Residential Woodshop! :winky:. I wound up surfacing/jointing about 3/8ths inch off the project piece :shock:. I took it from around 1 inch thick down to about 5/8ths inch.

Burial Flag Display Case 0002 11152021.jpg
Burial Flag Display Case 0003 11152021.jpg

Continued for additional images...,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Long Delayed Progress III++ - Slow Going - Very ;-)

Burial Flag Display Case 0004 11152021.jpg
Burial Flag Display Case 0005 11152021.jpg
Burial Flag Display Case 0006 11152021.jpg

The Festool Guide Rails really shine in this application. I marked my dimension on the project piece, layed the guide rail down and ran the saw down it and removed barely more than a sliver off the edge!

Burial Flag Display Case 0007 11152021.jpg
Burial Flag Display Case 0008 11152021.jpg
Burial Flag Display Case 0009 11152021.jpg

Spaghetti Sunday :timeout: :winky:

:smoke:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Spaghetti Sunday :timeout: ;-)

A late Spaghetti Sunday is still a Spaghetti Sunday! :roflmao: I made it just under the wire! :crazy:

Spaghetti Sunday  0001 01162022.jpg

Spaghetti Sunday  0002 01162022.jpg

It was nearly Spaghetti Sunday Monday! Spaghetti Sunday Monday's are reserved for Spaghetti Sunday leftovers! :winky:

I'll be back! I have a couple new additions to the Woodworking Woodshop some people might find interesting, possibly :winky: I think they're a great addition! :tup:

:smoke: ,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

I'm A Slow Eater! :-D

I have a really nice Festool setup, with a Festool-ish Multi-Function Table.

Besides their accuracy, Festool is very well known for its Dust Collection capabilities....it's one of the primary reasons why I chose Festool. Considering this environment - living in a woodshop, it fit the bill for me!

It has a weakness, though.

This is it's weakness.

Festool TS75 Festoolish MultiFunction Table 0002 02172021.jpg

Dust escapes out of that YUGE hole in the side of the Track Saw. The hole is there to facilitate blade changes.

A DIY fix I found was this...painters tape over the hole.

Strawbyte 0002 01152022.jpg

It worked very well, it's just hokey as all hell!!! :roflmao:

I found this company that makes 3D Printed products for Track Saws and Track Saw accessories. I'm pretty sure I saw them on Peter Millard's #10MinuteWorkshop YouTube channel.

Strawbyte 0003 01152022.jpg

Then, once I found their product page, I discovered they make another product that will suit my needs very well...and the needs of any woodshop that uses Track Saws.

Another weakness of any track saw set up is every cut has to be made with the Waste Side on the right side of the saw. All measurements must be made from the left side of the work piece to get the cut on the correct side of the blade. IF you carefully measure out your work piece and make your cut on the wrong side of the line you've precisely marked out your project piece will be short by the thickness (Kerf) of the saw blade. I know, I've done it! :facepalm: :roflmao:

Strawbyte, the company that makes the dust collection cover also make a Waste-Side layout tool.

Strawbyte 0004 01152022.jpg

Just as you would make your layout, lay your track saw Guide Rail precisely on your mark and make your cut....you can do it accurately measuring from the right side of your work piece, instead of being limited by making only left side layouts.

That Waste-Side accessory is the exact width of the exact saw blade you are using.

Strawbyte 0005 01162022.jpg

Strawbyte 0007 01162022.jpg

Nice! Very nice! I was only making nailing blocks for the under-loft wall - where the joists are anything but square! :crazy: - but I just had to try them! :winky: :roflmao:

Very impressive. And very inexpensive. :tup:

IF you are in need of Track Saw accessories to make up for some of the inherent weaknesses in these systems you can't go wrong with Strawbyte! They make these accessories for many, maybe all, of the Track Saws on the market. They also make the Waste Side accessory for whatever saw blade you intend to use with them. Same maker may have different thickness saw blades.

I strongly recommend them!

https://www.strawbyte.com/

That is all! :winky:

I'm going to break my Cannabis dry out period. Much like making those waste-side cuts just because, so too my Cannabis embargo!

Smoke'm if you got'm! :roflmao:

Make it a great week, folks!,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Good Thing My Plan To Indulge Last Night Didn't Happen - I Forgot To! :-D

The Pain Clinic called me a little while ago to tell me they had a cancelled appointment creating a opening for me tomorrow :tup:

Remember I said I was going to burn a :tokie: last night?

I forgot to! :roflmao:

:roflmao:,
WHAB

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Residence

Post by rSin »

ive this sawzal and i often put the blade in backward but using it that way the vent holes blow dust at me so ive tape over it...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

rSin wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:43 pm
ive this sawzal and i often put the blade in backward but using it that way the vent holes blow dust at me so ive tape over it...
Yeah, any tool with an exposed, un-contained cutter - reciprocating or rotary - can be a real mess!

I admire you for your ability to get in there and get the job done, Ben.

I read a lot of your chats where you discuss your work, not all of them....but, I got the gist!

Kudos, Ben!

:tup:.
WHAB

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

same to you whab
hope that you are well
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

rSin wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:40 pm
same to you whab
hope that you are well
Thank you, Ben! :tup:

I've only just now got a temp wall up part-way! :winky:

And, I'm firing myself from the nail-gun crew (I am the crew!) :winky:

I've never used one. I don't think this one isn't set up properly. Something else I've never done.

I butchered one stud BAD! It had a mean twist in it and the nails didn't seat like I thought they would (a lot of the head and shaft are the opposite of deeply seated! :roflmao:) and I got a clamp and twisted it to make it more square to the top plate and ripped it apart! This nail gun also seems to have a really sensitive trigger as it double nailed a few times on just 3 studs, and I was being careful to take my finger off the trigger.

It's not a load-bearing wall. It is only a partition to block light, hang insulation off of and attach Panda Cloth to. So, it's not a really big deal. No great loss!

I probably should have practiced! :roflmao:

And, my back is stinking killing me :bigcry: :roflmao:

Besides all of the above, I"m doing great! Thank you for asking, Ben....sincerely! :tup:

I have to get back to messing things up! :roflmao:

Regards, Ben,
WHAB

dill786
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: memento mori
Has bestowed Karma : 979 times
Received Karma : 765 times

Post by dill786 »

whab
i admire yours and bens carpentry skills..
Kuchisabishii