Old seed starting experiment

The place to throw about unorthodox ideas related to gardening.
Hippiechik
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: my custom title
Has bestowed Karma : 36 times
Received Karma : 63 times

Post by Hippiechik »

Well, I noticed that all four bags were growing mold on the paper towels, but only two seeds had visible mold growth (they were both in one bag together) while the third was unaffected.

I pulled both, gave one a quick 5 minute soak In straight 3% peroxide, wiped off the remaining mycelium as best I could, and tossed it back in the bag.

I also removed the moldy paper towels from all four bags, and gave the inside of each bag a quick spritz of peroxide and water. Since the remaining seeds seemed okay, I put them back where I had them. Maybe they just need more time. The fact that no mold has grown on them is slightly encouraging, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

The remaining funky moldy seed I decided to sacrifice for the greater good of “science” and dissected it. Although the tissue surrounding the cotyledons inside the shell was bright green, I saw no growth whatsoever elsewhere.

Here is the radicle and the embryo:
EE39A808-264C-4E12-80B3-8A3C4C705FBA.jpeg
I really don’t know what else I can do with the rest of these seeds at this point. I hate to just toss them! I’m seriously considering planting them outside and letting nature do whatever with them. I am still considering buying that microclone kit, in the slim hopes that I might be able to get even one to grow.

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1122 times
Received Karma : 1753 times

Post by Lrus007 »

well fill a tray with holes in bottom with soil.
i would plant them into it vs outside in the soil.
but maybe break it down do 1 thing at a time.
kind of to many cooks in the kitchen. everything
was thrown in. so maybe just try 1 at a time.
still pulling for you.
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

Lrus007 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:36 am
well fill a tray with holes in bottom with soil.
i would plant them into it vs outside in the soil.
but maybe break it down do 1 thing at a time.
kind of to many cooks in the kitchen. everything
was thrown in. so maybe just try 1 at a time.
still pulling for you.
I think I am going to wait and see if any of these decide to split open first. So far, none of them have cracked open. I’ve got them all sitting on top of my hydroponics rack, which is gently warmed from below by the lights. I’ve wrapped the whole thing with a pair of old lace curtains (just to be bougie) to keep the cat hair and bugs out as best I can. This in effect helps keep a steady current of warm air rising in one place, instead of being dispersed.

I will continue to monitor the situation and will check them about every 12 hours. So long as they aren’t moldy, I am willing to leave them alone for as long as it takes. Lol

I still have some more seeds left in my fridge, and I’m considering tossing a few out in the garden tomorrow. We’re due for some pretty cold weather, so maybe letting them go through the winter and into spring naturally will help get them going.

Attached are the “plan B” seeds that I started at the same time as these. I’m down to smoking stems and crumbled up fan leaves, so I have got to get a grow going regardless.

I have two orange goji x amnesia haze, two grape pie x snow lotus, two white rhino, a space queen x bloodwreck, one poison daddy (all of these are regular photos), the rest are two different freebie autos and a promising fem from Twenty 20. They all finally broke the soil today.
Attachments
2016226F-1426-4DED-845B-4D62416CCBBC.jpeg
98209A08-8389-4376-8DE8-84E183898BA2.jpeg
C8693CDE-2414-4C44-AFBC-0DFD0D959A1C.jpeg

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 935 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

How's everything doing? :)
Any luck with the older beans?

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1122 times
Received Karma : 1753 times

Post by Lrus007 »

i was wondering also bob.
my guess is a fail, has been a while.
hope she pops in with news on her
fresh seeds.
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 423 times
Received Karma : 521 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

Someone send her some buds –she's down to stems and swag. I would, but I'm not in the US.
Licensed to Krill

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

Hey guys, sorry I kinda slid off the log for a while…

The first batch of seeds (the old ones) went kaput, and they only grew mold. Bummer.

It’s another new Supermoon, so I decided to give it another shot. I soaked the seeds in warm water with a bit of peroxide, and then planted them in straight vermiculite in these cute little mini seed starter trays that I won on another forum, plus an AC Infinity heat mat. Hopefully that will make a huge difference!
BCD14BCB-176F-4DD4-A25C-75DF8D63546F.jpeg
I tried to hang up the light for it, but I spazzed and it ripped right out of the drywall. I will come up with a workaround for it later.

My other seeds are going strong, though I neglected them while I was ill. They have been fed and are greening up nicely and growing well. I’m starting to see some potential, too. Some of them have super tight internodes, which is a trait I like.

I don’t know why the pics are sideways, I am sorry. These guys are going into one gallon trade pots until I see preflowers. They are exactly 30 days old today (from seed planting).

One of the autoflowers is in bloom, too. I bungled it by leaving it in a solo cup too long, oops.
35EA6623-9B04-466C-A664-F374707EAFE2.jpeg
Attachments
6B027FA2-664E-49A3-A2BE-2B38D5AAB28E.jpeg
EE256D7E-2ED2-49B7-BE76-A56FE7F5AD1E.jpeg
3004DE70-16E5-4C67-A8DB-0B5564058220.jpeg
FBA640B4-EE56-40F2-A7E5-EE072D1F9281.jpeg

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

And of course the pictures are out of order… lol

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

Shots of the room (which is a work in progress, I’m not done with it yet) and my sad, neglected children.

I have a couple of 100w LEDs, one on either side of a HPS/MH (digital dimming ballast). There’s a 4” inline vent plus a carbon scrubber, but since I bought the wrong size and waited too long to return it, I am kinda stuck with it. The room is pretty cool with it running, but I haven’t turned on the other lights yet.

I plan on replacing it later, hopefully before the heat of summer. For now, I think it would suffice to grow a couple of nice plants.

I also installed a smoke detector in there, because fire is one of my biggest fears. I also have a fire extinguisher handy at all times. I wish I had the money to install a fire bottle, which is designed to flood an aircraft engine with inert non corrosive agents like Halon. I overthink things sometimes, lol
Attachments
8153EFB5-FBAF-4426-9BA2-4AA7579E412F.jpeg
7DE232B6-A631-4778-A54E-03CCF0EE6FCE.jpeg
5EFFBF4F-1175-45C3-A50F-20B7A7764D17.jpeg
4719A5E1-5E0E-42F4-9F73-8BD14A510449.jpeg
B498F03B-2AB9-4F60-9B07-F5DDD81FC1B5.jpeg
2BF46726-0ED2-45E7-8842-F0C38AA4B054.jpeg

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

I posted over at Overgrow, but with the photos actually in order, if anyone is interested (there’s a few more photos there) https://overgrow.com/t/the-lazarus-grow/96372/23