Board Administrator
Karma Monster
Karma Monster
Custom Title: UnhingedMotherfucker
Has bestowed Karma : 511 times
Received Karma : 993 times

is it legal to mail cannabis seeds yet?

Post by Munchy »

I found the following article, but it seems to be somewhat inconclusive. Does anyone have more info?

what risk is there for new seed vendors starting up?
do they need a license, or should they just take extreme precautions online in the hope to stay out of trouble?

and also what do you think about unknown first-time posters who come to our site offering free seeds,
or anything else for that matter, which may entice some of our members to expose their personal addy, etc?

...especially as it relates to our site TOU:
...Distribution Prohibited - Use of this site, by any manner, to distribute unlawful substances or items is STRICTLY prohibited. (This includes all forums and private message feature. We do not monitor content in the private areas, but will remove the feature in response to any reports of unlawful use)...
Weed seeds may be legal to ship across the US, DEA says
Pat Goggins
Published on April 8, 2022

Cali bud could end up on the East Coast easier than you think.

Cannabis commercial and home growers alike may be able to get their seeds from all over the country now, and not have to worry about breaking federal law. Before, because of federal illegality, cannabis seeds have been restricted to the state in which they were produced, so a strain bred and grown in one state, legally, could not go beyond that state’s boundaries.

A recent legal clarification by the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) could mean that the seeds of cannabis strains popular in one part of the country could legally be shipped to another part of the country, because the DEA considers all forms of cannabis seeds to be federally legal hemp.

That means strains popular in mature markets like Washington, Oregon, and California could make their way to legal markets on the East Coast in Massachusetts and Maine, and soon-to-open markets like New Jersey and New York.

Marijuana Moment reporter Kyle Jaeger recently unearthed a letter from DEA officials that clarifies the definition of cannabis seeds, clones, and tissue cultures, which could open up a whole range of possibilities for cannabis growers, and could spread a diversity of strains across legal markets all over the country, opening up the gene pool and leading to new trends and tastes in weed.

Are weed seeds illegal?

Right now, cannabis strains are somewhat isolated in the regions they are bred and created, as they can’t be transported beyond state lines. For example, even though recreational weed is legal at the state level in both California and Oregon, moving a plant from one of those states to the other is illegal at the federal level. This forces cannabis growers and breeders to operate within the confines of a specific state.

That’s not to say that a strain bred in California won’t end up in Oregon—it happens all the time, but it is technically illegal, according to federal law.

Many cannabis breeders and seed banks sell seeds throughout the US, but they operate in a legal gray area. Typically, seed producers say their seeds are sold for “novelty” or “souvenir” purposes, giving them a loophole to skirt the law.

If cannabis seeds are found in the mail, they could be seized and the sender or receiver arrested, however, the fact of the matter is that seeds are very difficult to detect. Cannabis seeds are usually less than a ¼” in diameter and don’t smell like weed. A packet of 10 seeds is about the size of four quarters stacked.

But all that might have changed in 2018 without anyone knowing.

Defining ‘source’ vs. ‘material’

In 2018, Congress passed a farm bill that legalized hemp in the US. It defined “hemp” as any cannabis plant with less than 0.3% THC. This allows hemp to be grown and used for industrial purposes—for creating textiles and materials. The 2018 bill also opened up hemp production for the creation of cannabinoids other than delta-9 THC, such as CBD, delta-8, and others.

Because CBD and delta-8 products are usually extracted from hemp plants, that is, cannabis plants containing less than 0.3% THC, they can be found in states that don’t have legal, recreational cannabis.

In November, Shane Pennington, counsel at Vicente Sederberg LLP in New York, wrote to DEA officials asking for clarification of the definition of a cannabis seed, clone, and tissue culture.

Cannabis seeds have always been deemed illegal because they come from plants that are high in THC. The source of the seeds is above 0.3% THC, and therefore anything that comes from those plants, such as seeds, has also been considered illegal cannabis.

Pennington argued that the source of the material doesn’t determine legality, but the material itself—meaning that because a cannabis seed itself contains less than 0.3% THC, it should be classified as hemp. If seeds are hemp, they are not a controlled substance—and are therefore federally legal.

“When it comes to determining whether a particular cannabis-related substance is federally legal ‘hemp’ or schedule I “marihuana,” it is the substance itself that matters—not its source,” Pennington wrote in a blog post.

Exotic Genetix Mike, founder of cannabis producer Exotic Genetix, said the DEA’s ruling “Is what we’ve always kind of practiced. [Seeds contain] less than 0.3% THC—they’re not a controlled substance.”

Mike welcomed the news: “It’s been clarified. Not just what we do is legal, but the money we make for doing it is also legal and not an illegal enterprise.”

What implications does this have for the weed industry?

If the DEA and federal government allow seeds to cross state lines, adults could grow and consume seeds and strains from all over the country in their own state. Certain strains would no longer be confined to a specific region, but could be enjoyed all across the nation.

“It’ll spark innovation, if people can bring it above ground, it can be regulated,” said Pennington in an interview with Leafly.

Regulation can bring more investment, a bigger industry, and more acceptance of the plant.

Breaking down transportation barriers across states would also open up the cannabis gene pool, giving breeders a bigger diversity of strains to work with. The number and diversity of new strains would likely increase, tapping into new consumer trends and flavors.

More strains also means that certain strains could be pinpointed and bred specifically for certain effects, whether for medical or recreational purposes.

But according to Pennington, perhaps the biggest implication is that “This sends a signal, clearly, to state legislators, state regulators, and to groups that lobby those folks… the federal law is more flexible than you assumed.”

States take their cue from the DEA when creating their own drug laws, so seeing the agency relax its stance on shipping cannabis genetics could cause states to follow suit, breaking down protectionist state laws.

This could also open up more accurate research on the plant, according to Pennington. For decades, cannabis research was limited to The University of Mississippi, which grew weed with a low potency, around 8% THC. However, most dispensaries sell cannabis with a THC percentage around 20%. Being able to ship genetics across the country would allow for more robust research into the plant, using strains that mirror what adults are actually buying in stores and consuming.

How binding is the DEA letter?

The DEA calls the letter an “official determination,” but whether or not they are legally bound to this position is a bit hazy.

“That to me sure seems like something the agency would either be bound to going forward or at least be very hesitant to deviate from in any kind of enforcement context,” said Pennington.

For now, the DEA’s acknowledgment that cannabis seeds, clones, and tissue cultures are not controlled substances isn’t law, but it is a big step forward in relaxing restrictions on cannabis.

https://www.leafly.com/news/industry/we ... p-dea-says
Prohibition is Futile Image THC will be Assimilated
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ How To Pass Drug Tests ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1820 times
Received Karma : 1594 times

Post by Intrinsic »

My understanding it's still a Federal crime , still a schedule one substance, regardless of agricultural hemp.

Therefore a federal crime using the post office to transport, even with in state lines. It's Federal.

Munchy
Board Administrator
Karma Monster
Karma Monster

Post by Munchy »

okay, so using the USPS is probably a bad idea, but what about sending by UPS or FEDEX, etc... any difference there? :confused:

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 935 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

From a business perspective, until it becomes expressly legal, I doubt any shipper would risk the possibility of a conspiracy charge for their participation. Maybe look thru USPS website, see if they address it? :dunno:

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Post by Jesús Malverde »

I bought an apparently legal 5lb bag of what was sold as hemp seed for nuisance/decorative planting that came with no paperwork certifying or claims that it met any of the legal definitions of hemp. I had no problem sourcing them using only a less than 5 minute google search and they were sent USPS. And yes, the seed was viable and grew. So, the answer appears to be cannabis seed is legal (or at least tolerated) to send via USPS. I never harvested or tried smoking any of the plants because that wasn't the point, it could have been the bomb for all I knew (some of them grew nice buds and smelled great) but was probably, I assume, essentially THC-less.

I'm waiting for some Einstein to figure out that they can sell legal rec cannabis flower loaded with prime seeds for multiples of what they sell the sinsemilla flowers for because good seed is worth far, far more by weight than even the most elite cannabis flower. If I were a licensed grower, I'd totally exploit the fuck outta that loophole nobody has yet.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

webeblzr
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 139 times
Received Karma : 175 times

Post by webeblzr »

I live in a horrible cannabis state, Pennsylvania.
For seeds coming to me, I used a safe addy, for the first 15 years or so. Past 7-8 I simply had them sent to me.
It is not against the law to buy souvenirs, nor to send them to other collectors.
You can not buy them with the intent to grow them out, in my state.
I do not buy from Instagram.

A couple of my favorite sites are simply breeders/ growers/traders/ hobbyists/LED builders/nutrient makers/s2 of them even offer job lists in cannabis.

It's a different cannabis world on the web now, and I say FINALLY, and WELCOME!! I'm growing our bud's for FAR less money now, then when I got started in 1999/2000. All due to cannabis and related products becoming far cheaper then back then.
Just my $.02

Munchy
Board Administrator
Karma Monster
Karma Monster

Post by Munchy »

Munchy
Board Administrator
Karma Monster
Karma Monster

Post by Munchy »

believe it or not, this guy is a lawyer

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1820 times
Received Karma : 1594 times

Post by Intrinsic »

I Googled where to buy seeds in California. There are plenty of sites. I have no idea which to choose from or what seeds to get. Suggestions welcome

It's been a looong time since I've bought seeds. So is it legal now especially if I don't cross state lines?

I don't remember who suggested this but the best way to buy seeds should be inside a seeded bud, seems to me.

Anyways is it legal purchasing with a credit card, sending through the mail now? Since Sites are doing it and not getting busted.......

Munchy
Board Administrator
Karma Monster
Karma Monster

Post by Munchy »

i hope you used a VPN, btw Opera has a good free one built-in.
and/or maybe try duckduckgo to search next time,
i'm just sayin, fuck google for private stuff, right? lol :wink:

but yes, I believe the verdict is that since seeds contain no THC, classifying them same as hemp,
which allows them to be shipped no problem, even across state lines.
but shipping a seeded bud sounds like a bad idea.

I recently had a great experience using www.seedsman.com
which features many top breeders, and they can ship from within the US.
They also have medical (ongoing), veteran (1-time) and first-time discounts, or try the code SCROG (1-time)
Northern Scrogger SCROG School has been using their seeds with great results.
I recommend accepting their delivery insurance for $6, so they will re-ship if needed.
I didn't choose their paid option of Priority Mail shipping upgrade due to lack of more extra funds,
but my order was big enough that they did upgrade it anyway, arriving safely and discreetly within 4 days. :tup:
I really like FastBuds strain reviews on youtube, don't know if you're interested in Autos, but I picked out some Auto Cup Winners:
Munchy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:51 pm
the plan is going well so far,
i was afraid these kinds were going to sell out soon
props for seedsman, fast priority mail
exactly as ordered 4 days ago,
+ extra bonus fastbuds zkittlez auto
on top of promised bonus seedsman zkittlez auto
it might be interesting to do those 2 side-by-side, but that'll be down the road...
i also plan to self-pollinate each kind, using tiresias or similar fem spray
to turn these 5-packs into 100's packs for future reference :toker1:
seedsman fastbuds autos 2.jpg
Munchy wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:26 pm
i just plan to harvest the same 4 clone strains (TMxJ, SS, CP & Oreoz) from my tent every couple of months,
and then run some auto's outside in the spring, before re-doing this same greenhouse grow next summer.
i'm looking at these American AutoFlower Cup winners by FASTBUDS:
BANANA PURPLE PUNCH ~ TROPICANA COOKIES ~ STRAWBERRY GORILLA ~ ORANGE SHERBET
thumbs2.jpg
these strain reviews look awesome
they're only a few minutes each
just click where they say Watch on Youtube

BREAKING NEWS!
A Historical moment: Fast Buds Banana Purple Punch tested 30.4% THC at MJBIZCON 23

ZKITTLEZ STRAIN REVIEW: