MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 416 times
Received Karma : 265 times

Grow Log - And So It Begins!

Post by ben ttech »

the precise diameter of the dish their sitting on would do...
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Shaman to the Gentry

Post by A Bloke Down The Pub »

ben ttech wrote:the precise diameter of the dish their sitting on would do...
Good point. It's 3.5" (6cm).

Here are a couple of pix with a match head included, for comparison:
pins4.jpg
pins5.jpg

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Shrooms is bustin' out all over.

And todays pictures:
shroom1.jpg
shrooms2.jpg
Sorry if the pix are a bit large.... lots of detail to get in!

As you can see, the shrooms are developing apace.
All of the cakes have at least a few forming on them now, and they're all looking good. :tup:

Nothing happening in the jar I kept closed yet.... but we'll see how that one comes along over the next few days.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

And for today:
shrooms 001.jpg
shrooms 002.jpg
shrooms 003.jpg
Sorry they're not as sharp as they could be. I was a bit rushed and did them all hand-held. :roll:
I'll try and get some better ones later.

webeblzr
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 139 times
Received Karma : 175 times

Post by webeblzr »

Since I have been concentrating on culitivation techs, you forget, (until seeing your thread), just how fucking fast these things grow!!
Thanks for sharing it!

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

webeblzr wrote:Since I have been concentrating on culitivation techs, you forget, (until seeing your thread), just how fucking fast these things grow!!
They buggering well do, don't they?
mushrooms 006.JPG
mushrooms 013.JPG
mushrooms 019.JPG
mushrooms 0201.jpg
As you can see, there are some ready for harvest already. I'll be leaving them for a day or so though, as I want to get some spore prints, and need to wait until they're fully open and producing the max amount of spores. These TEDs don't produce as many spores as some varieties, but they still make a reasonable print. :mrgreen:
Best time to harvest for consumption is just before the veil under the cap breaks.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

And probably the final pix before I start harvesting:
shroomz 002.jpg
shroomz 010.jpg
shroomz 011.jpg
:tup:

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

And So To Harvest

I'm going to be doing some spore prints so I'll need some equipment:
Alcohol (methylated spirits in this case) for sterilising.
Scalpel (or sharp knife)
Kitchen foil
Mixing bowls (to use as a cover)
Cleanish place to work.

There's no need to be utterly anal about sterility, but the cleaner you work, the less problems you'll get with contaminations.
I'm working on a glass table which I've wiped down with alcohol to sterilise it. I've also wiped down the foil and the insides of the bowls to sterilise them. It's important to let the alcohol evaporate before work starts, otherwise it will kill the spores you're collecting.
arvis 003.jpg
Next, cut the caps off some mushrooms as near to the top of the stem as you can.
Place them on sheets of sterilised foil cut to about double the size of the print and overlapping at both sides. We're going to be folding them in half later and sealing the edges by double-folding them.
arvis 005.jpg
Cover them with the sterilised bowl to keep air currents to a minimum and prevent airborne contaminations from settling (make sure the foil doesn't stick out at the edges).
arvis 006.jpg
For the harvest, just gently pull away the shrooms from the cake (singly or in clusters). Scrape away any remaining vermiculite from the stems, and cut just above the "stump". You can make tea from the stem butts, but dosage is difficult to calculate, and you need to filter out the vermiculite bits, so it's a lot of hassle.
arvis 009.jpg
Once that's done, pop them on a rack and place them somewhere warm & dry with good air circulation for a few days. I usually pop mine over a radiator, but whatever you have will do. Drying in direct sunlight is not a good idea, as strong light degrades their potency. Once they're "cracker dry", that's it! :tup:
arvis 012.jpg
Of course, you can consume them fresh, but I hardly ever have a trippy mood on when harvest time comes, so I usually dry everything ready for later. :smoke:

I've wetted the vermiculite on the bottom of the cakes and popped them back into the fruiting chamber. They should produce a second flush of shrooms in a week or so.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

So, after about 6-12 hours, remove the cap from the foil and you should have a good dark spore print:
print1.jpg
Now they really need drying properly if they're going to be stored for a while... I'll do that with my next batch. I'm only going to use this batch for making up some syringes in a day or two, so they're not going to be stored long enough for it to matter.
I've got a couple of dessicant jars with silica gel which I use for the final drying of the shrooms and these are ideal for drying out spore prints, too.
I use sterilised rubber gloves for all handling of the prints.
Once your print is dried, fold it in half, double fold all the edges, label it and pop it into a baggie.
Kept cool and dry, it should remain viable for several years.
print2.jpg
This is the first time I've done any prints for a couple of years, so this was really just a shakedown run to make sure I remembered what I was doing. :mrgreen:
Last edited by A Bloke Down The Pub on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thepureskunk
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT

Post by thepureskunk »

Hey Bloke...just popping by!!

Really nice Thread and some great pics!! I still have some mushies in the freezer somewhere...been saving them till my GF is brave enough to dose for her first time!

I'm gonna have to stop being soooooo lazy and actually grow some for myself! It seems really easy!

Anyway take care bro and all the best, tps :)
Its a foolish Dog that barks at a flying Bird...