Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

I learned two things this season.

Post by Jesús Malverde »

OK, after doing a little research it appears some plant species can have purple appearing foliage and at the same time still efficiently photosynthesize. Like healthy variegated foliage though, there will likely be some incremental diminution in photosynthetic efficiency.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Jesús Malverde »

Outdoor bud can look as good as prime indoor bud, but requires some good fortune outside the direct control of the grower to achieve. Indoor grows are replicable to a degree that outdoor grows obviously are not. The most obvious advantages of outdoor cultivation are the ability to grow varieties adapted to the tropics that are essentially impossible to bring to their full potential in a grow room. Well that and the whole ecological counterproductivity of growing plants under artificial lights that could in a rational legal environment be properly grown outdoors.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

country boy

Post by country boy »

Last edited by country boy on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1820 times
Received Karma : 1594 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Butcher Bob wrote:Nice dick swingin contest. :p

Did someone say black leaves?...
HfF2-BGF2-058.JPG
Hey Bob … how’s your venture in hydro coming along?

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Jesús Malverde »

Actually most purple leaved plants, like variegated ones, are actually ornamental cultivars bred to accentuate that trait rather than species types.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

jesus

Post by jesus »

country boy wrote:
And i'm gonna call bull-shit on yellow=purple leaves
Pretty sure there is a pic in this thread. It's not a grand purple, just a little coloration visible since the chlorophyll is gone.

Roots

Post by Roots »

jesus wrote:You must not get many storms over there.

This year we had a nice storm in the middle of the night in September but followed by a sunny day and by a dry October...this year wasn't avg.....On avg it one storm in September and one in October but the October storm sucks because it brings up the humidity, what kills us is when we get a storm and no sun for a few days after, that's what leaves visible signs on the finished product...Where most outdoor grows go wrong is at harvest during the drying, many people will seal bags with MJ that hasn't fully dried and it changes the appearance of the product within a week or two. Harvest becomes overwhelming and corners are cut.

Roots

Post by Roots »

Jesús Malverde wrote:OK, after doing a little research it appears some plant species can have purple appearing foliage and at the same time still efficiently photosynthesize. Like healthy variegated foliage though, there will likely be some incremental diminution in photosynthetic efficiency.

Some indoor decorative plants have white leaves with very little green, all this really means is the plant doesn't need much light, I have a purple plant in my bathroom window...You can find pretty much any color leaf on different plants....What were talking about is changing colors and why the plants do so...I posted two links that I think cover the topic already.

Roots

Post by Roots »

country boy wrote:Lots of plants have purple coloration in their 'natural' state, i.e., without human manipulation...maybe works as a 'sunscreen'.
And we've all had indicas that would purple, usually due to cold, at least indoors.
Can't speak much to outdoors, ya'll are spoiled by relatively low RH...

And i'm gonna call bull-shit on yellow=purple leaves

There's a difference but the out come is the same, both are natural and to be expected...my problem with the stain I'm talking about is that it was turning purple pretty much on the onset of flower in 6 of the 9 plants, people would look at them and be amazed at how pretty they look, but the three plants of the same strain that didn't purple till weeks later had way bigger buds....after I hit reply I'll go see if the stuff is ready for a taste test, this same strain also grows rock hard outside purple or not but not so much inside, I think it might be one of the first truly indoor strains I've found for the things people who consume the plant are looking for.

"When leaves appear green, it is because they contain an abundance of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll masks other pigment colors. Anthocyanins, in turn, mask carotenoids. As summer turns to autumn, decreasing light levels cause chlorophyll production to slow. However, the decomposition rate of chlorophyll remains constant, so the green color will fade from the leaves. At the same time, anthocyanin production in leaves increases, in response to surging sugar concentrations. Leaves containing primarily anthocyanins will appear red. Leaves with good amounts of both anthocyanins and carotenoids will appear orange. Leaves with carotenoids but little or no anthocyanins will appear yellow. In the absence of these pigments, other plant chemicals also can affect leaf color. An example includes tannins, which are responsible for the brownish color of some oak leaves."

jesus

Post by jesus »

Were those 9 plants clones?